services / fees
Primary Care Tokyo provides the services noted below.
- General care for acute conditions such as colds, stomach/intestinal problems.
- Continuing care for chronic conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, asthma
- Annual physical examinations, school physicals
- Blood tests
- X-rays (digital)
- Urine tests (including drug screening)
- Electrocardiograms / 24-hour Holter ECGs
- Pulmonary function tests
- STD testing and treatment
- HIV non-occupational post-exposure prophylaxis (nPEP)
- Pap smears
- Minor surgical procedures such as drainage of abscesses, suturing of lacerations, removal of small lesions, cryosurgery
- Birth control (oral contraceptives, “morning after pill”)
Please note that we do not provide pre-natal or obstetric care.
E-mail communication is offered to established patients for reporting of results and other clinical communications. Please see our e-mail policy.
fees / health insurance
Japanese National Health Insurance (NHI) is accepted. This includes Kokumin Kenko Hoken (or "Kokuho") and Employees' Health Insurance (Kenko Hoken, or "Shaho"). You may be responsible for a co-pay of up to 30% of the fees at the time of your visit when using NHI. Please also note that NHI may not cover certain services such as preventative care, immunizations, or screening tests. There may also be limits on certain treatments, including medication dosage.
There is no requirement to register with any specific primary care physician under the health system in Japan. You may go directly to any hospital/clinic or specialist, although some facilities prefer that you have a letter of referral from an outside physician.
For those without NHI, services are provided on a fee-for-service basis. Cash and most major credit cards are accepted. We also have direct billing arrangements with a limited number of insurance carriers, including Cigna International, MetLife, United Healthcare Global, GeoBlue, and HTH Worldwide. Co-pays and deductibles may apply for these carriers. We are happy to complete any claim forms for these or other carriers.